Soft Tissue Sarcoma (other than Osteosarcoma, Chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma, or Mesothelioma
Monday, June 04, 2018
Tuesday, September 05, 2017
Background: Last year's National Defense Authorization Act increased TRICARE costs for military retirees who enter the military after January 1, 2018, and their families. Current military retirees and their family members are exempt from these cost increases, but a proposal which was recently advanced by the Senate would remove this exemption. This proposal would result in higher TRICARE fees for military retirees, including pharmacy copayments, which are already three times higher than they were in 2011, and enrollment costs for certain plans, such as the new Select plan, would nearly triple. There is an inherent cost to fielding a professional, all-volunteer military, and the promise of a modest stipend immediately upon retirement and inexpensive health care are keys to retaining our best and brightest service members. The VFW needs your help in defeating this harmful proposal which would require military retirees to pay more for their earned health care.
Take Action: Contact your Senators and Representative to demand that they reject any proposal that would result in TRICARE fee increases for current beneficiaries, and let them know that veterans have paid for their benefits through blood, sweat and tears many times over.
After taking action, please consider posting about this Alert on social media:
On Twitter, please paste: I stand with @VFWHQ in opposing any #FY18NDAA proposal that would require military retirees to pay more for their earned health care!
On Facebook, please paste: I stand with @VFWfans in opposing any #FY18NDAA proposal that would require military retirees to pay more for their earned health care! http://bit.ly/2ripZ8Q
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Possible Discussion on the Future of Incirlik AFB?
DoD News, Defense Media Activity
Aug. 23, 2017 — Defense Secretary Jim Mattis today met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Turkish Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli in Ankara, Turkey's capital city, Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Dana W. White said in a statement.
This was the first meeting between Mattis and Canikli, White said. The two leaders discussed the need for ongoing open and honest dialogue, the importance of integrity of Syria and Iraq and concern over Iran's malign influence in the region, she said.
White said Mattis and Canikli further reaffirmed their shared resolve to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.
Later in the day, Mattis met with the Turkish president, and the two leaders discussed regional security and strategy, White said.
White said Mattis expressed to Erdoğan the United States' commitment to its bilateral relationship with Turkey.
Mattis also addressed Turkey's legitimate security concerns, White said.
Mattis and Erdoğan expressed a shared interest for the two countries to create conditions for a more stable and secure region, she said
Sunday, August 13, 2017
OIR Officials: 2 U.S. Service Members Killed, 5 Injured in Northern Iraq
From a Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve News Release
SOUTHWEST ASIA, Aug. 13, 2017 — Two U.S. service members were killed and five others were injured conducting combat operations in northern Iraq today, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Initial reports indicate the incident was not due to enemy contact.
The incident is under investigation.
"The entire counter-ISIS Coalition sends our deepest condolences to these heroes' families, friends and teammates," said Army Lt. Gen. Stephen J. Townsend, commander of Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve.
Townsend added, "There are no words to describe the respect I have for you and sorrow I have for your loss. I hope there is some small solace in knowing their loss has meaning for our country and all the nations of the coalition as the fallen service members were fighting to defeat a truly evil enemy and to protect our homelands."
Further information will be released as appropriate.In accordance with policy, the coalition defers casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
Over the past several weeks, DAV has received hundreds of inquiries from DAV members and other concerned parties regarding the proposal to eliminate the total disability rating based on Individual Unemployability (IU) benefits for veterans over the age of 62 contained in the President's fiscal year 2018 budget. Specifically, the proposal would terminate existing IU total disability ratings for veterans when they reach the minimum retirement age for Social Security purposes (age 62), or upon enactment of the proposal if the veteran is already in receipt of Social Security retirement benefits. In the May 24 House Veterans' Affairs Committee budget hearing, DAV expressed its strong opposition to this proposal. We are aware that the elimination of these benefits would affect not only the veteran's family income, but other critical ancillary benefits, such as dental coverage, Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance, the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the VA (CHAMPVA), commissary and exchange privileges, and the value of Social Security benefits. Additionally, this will impact access to some state benefits such as property tax exemptions for veteran homeowners, free vehicle registration and free access to state parks.
Please be assured this is a key priority for DAV and we are trying to respond to your phone calls and email messages as quickly as possible. DAV is actively working to educate Capitol Hill lawmakers and the public about the devastating impact this proposal would have upon service-disabled veterans and their families.
Steps DAV has already taken:
- Action alert for members: DAV members and their supporters have sent almost 24,000 emails to Members of Congress through the DAV Commander's Action Network, advising them of our strong opposition to the proposal.
- Testimony: On May 24, 2017, DAV, along with our Independent Budget (IB) partners, Paralyzed Veterans of American and Veterans of Foreign Wars, testified on the Administration's budget to the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs and expressed our opposition to the IU proposal. DAV and its IB parnters will again condemn the IU proposal at a hearing before the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs on June 14th at 2:30 PM. There will be a live feed of the hearing on that day.
- Press Release: The IB veterans service organizations issued a press release concerning our opposition to the President's budget and IU proposal on May 25, 2017.
- OP/ED from DAV Washington Headquarters Executive Director Garry Augustine to be distributed to major media outlets nationwide.
- Meetings with Members of Congress to educate them about the negative impact of the IU proposal on veterans and their families.
- Letter to House and Senate Veterans' Affairs Committees and Congressional leadership to highlight the impact of the IU proposal and express our strong opposition to it.
- Developing an information sheet for DAV members to use in their own meetings and conversations with elected officials
Please keep in mind this is ONLY a proposal and the start of the budget process. But it is critical we protect our benefits by educating our elected officials about the negative impact this proposal would have on service-disabled veterans and their families. Please send a message to your elected officials to express your views on this important issue. We appreciate your support in our efforts to assure that America's veterans with wartime injuries and illnesses continue to receive all the benefits they are due from a grateful nation.
Click the link below to log in and send your message:
Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.
Friday, May 26, 2017
To view this week's edition, click here: http://www.vfw.org/
Life Member VFW NY Post 53
American Cold War Veterans, Inc.
|Blog:||Cold War Veterans Blog|
|Network:||My Fast Pitch! Profile|